Today, the world is undergoing a huge change due to immensely popular and exceptional technologies, IoT is one of them. IoT has created a huge buzz due to its smart capabilities to ease our life. A huge amount of noise at the moment about the Internet of Things (or IoT) due to its effect on everything around us, like from the way we travel and do our shopping, lives conveniently in our homes, track daily physical activities and many more things.
Let’s get know everything about IoT:
What is IoT?
It can be said as the network of physical objects — devices, vehicles, buildings and other items — embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and network connectivity that enables these objects to collect and exchange data.
Basically, IoT is an evolution for mobile, home and embedded applications that are connected to the internet, to integrate communication. IoT supports various communicative processes between different departments within your organization and between your organization with others. It enhances the Machine to Machine (M2M) type of communication system which ensures accuracy in data, real-time data transfer and updates with minimal error.
Benefits of IoT:
- Efficient resource utilization
- Reduced human efforts
- Lowers the cost and bring productivity
- Real-time marketing
- Decision analytics
- Better customer experiences
- High-quality data
- IoT based Wearables (SmartWatch)
Characteristics of IoT:
- Intelligence: Combination of algorithms and computation, software & hardware that makes it smart and intelligent
- Connectivity: Connectivity empowers the Internet of Things by bringing together everyday objects.
- Dynamic Nature: The state of the IoT devices change dynamically, example sleeping and waking up, connected and/or disconnected.
- Enormous scale: No. of devices needs to communicate with each other will be much larger than the devices connected to the current Internet.
- Sensing: Sensors detects or measure any changes in the environment to generate data that can report on their status.
- Heterogeneity: IoT architecture should support direct network connectivity between heterogeneous networks.
- Security: IoT devices are vulnerable to security threats.
IoT in the Transportation Industry
In the transportation industry, there is much need for a smart system to manage resources in the right ways. Let’s consider a smart traffic camera, it can monitor road traffic and keep tracks of accidents, congestions, weather conditions, and communicates with other smart cameras to share this data with them. The overall recorded data is combined and gathered to the city traffic system.
IoT in Healthcare & Medical Industries
Healthcare and Medical industries need to be more advanced and hence they are already using IoT based tools. With the help of IoT tools, the doctors can monitor the patient remotely and give drugs on the basis of tracked information. For instance, there is a patient at home, he is in constant life support and all his health issues are being completely recorded in a cloud system. Also, the hospital can dispatch the ambulance to the patient’s location.
IoT in Education Industry
The impact of IoT in the education sector is unlike any other sector, unique and the link between digital technology and education is unique and appreciative. These are some important areas where the Internet of Things application in education.
- Poster boards into IoT enabled boards
- The engaging and interactive learning experience
- Learning at any time and anywhere
- Attendance Monitoring System
- Efficient administration of teaching institutes, schools, and colleges
IoT in Retail and E-commerce:
IoT-powered devices can exchange the data with each other through the internet, which helps retail and e-commerce businesses to carry on their operations efficiently.
Few use cases:
- Automated Order and Inventory Management
- Warehouse Management
- Streamlined E-commerce Process
- Interactive Customer Experience
- Supply Chain and Logistics Management
IoT in Supply Chain Management:
IoT is set to revolutionize the supply chain with both operational efficiencies and revenue opportunities made possible with just this type of transparency.
IoT can improve the overall operational efficiency of the supply chain in the following ways:
- Accurate and Real-time product tracking
- Vendor Relations
- Forecasting and Inventory
- Warehouse and distribution management
- Connected Fleets Management
- Scheduled Maintenance
- Transparent Marketing
- Employee productivity improvements
- Enhanced customer and citizen experience
Below are the technologies used in IoT based app development:
IoT iterates improve and keep building. IoT networks never arrive pre-assembled, they grow over time. The IoT has amalgamated hardware and software to the internet to create a smarter world. It has been growing at a significant pace and offers a multitude of opportunities for government and business. In fact, the number of openings for IoT professionals is at an all-time high.
So, it is the perfect time to explore the new opportunities of this technology, utilizing its true potential.