Anyone who has been staying up to date with news from the technology world has inevitably heard of the Metaverse. The Metaverse, as a concept, was first introduced in Neal Stephenson’s 1992 novel, Snow Crash. What was once a distant dystopia is now closer to our reach than ever. For a while now, virtual reality (VR) games have been in use. These games require the use of a headset, and lo and behold, you find yourself immersed in a virtual world.
Now, at the pace at which technology is evolving, we have far progressed beyond virtual games. While these games are at its core, the Metaverse has spanned several more industries, with even big brands venturing into the territory. However, gaming and the Metaverse are inextricably tied together. As of now, NFT games are the roadway to the Metaverse. In the future, we can expect the Metaverse to take gaming miles ahead in its turn.
Explaining the Metaverse
Before all else, let us first stop a moment and understand what exactly the Metaverse is all about. The Metaverse is simply a 3-dimensional network that consists of interconnected virtual and augmented reality. In this world, people can exist as digital avatars that represent them. Melding the real world with the virtual, the Metaverse will seamlessly integrate virtual reality, augmented reality, digital currency, and social networks.
Any task from buying an NFT to interaction with friends to playing a game of cricket can be done within the Metaverse. There have been two types of Metaverses that are the talk of the town. A Centralized Metaverse is, as the name suggests, under the authority of a single entity. While it has its benefits, the privacy of the user may be sacrificed. On the other hand, we have a Decentralized Metaverse wherein interoperable virtual platforms on a blockchain form an ecosystem. This is projected to have the ultimate immersive experience coupled with safe blockchain transactions.
You can also read :The Insane Future of Web 3.0 and the Metaverse
Changing the Game for Gaming
NFT gaming, which is set to be a key part of the Metaverse, has been gaining steam since 2021. These games provide opportunities for players to earn rewards and currency by simply playing. Understandably, NFT games have been the new name in the gaming sector, promising to take us forward into the future. Now, when the Metaverse finally arrives, it may take NFT gaming to a whole new level in a multitude of ways. Here are a few of them.
- P2E Gaming: We have already discussed how Play-to-earn NFT game has brought about a revolution in the gaming industry. Well, with Metaverse in the picture, it will only grow like never before. As these games become platforms for social connectivity, marketplaces may flourish, and buying and selling NFTs may be as easy as 1 2 3.
- Interoperability: Interoperability of platforms means that digital assets from one platform can be moved to and used in another. For instance, skins and weapons from a certain game can be used to play another NFT game.
- Mixed Reality: Mixed reality will play a huge role in the Metaverse. With the Metaverse, a user can seamlessly move from augmented reality to mixed reality to virtual reality.
- Immersive Experience: One of the most prominent features of the Metaverse is that it will be immersive. The user can lead a parallel life in the virtual world. Gaming, especially, would be taken to new heights as the Metaverse will render players capable of creating their own games, characters, and storylines.
- Social Connection: Above all else, the Metaverse is inherently social. Ever since we were children, games have brought people together. This will take on a whole new dimension with the Metaverse transcending geographical boundaries. Through the Metaverse, players can invite friends, form new connections, and simply play as a team.
The Metaverse is close at hand; there is no denying that. With Meta foraying further into the Metaverse day by day, and Disney exploring Web3, the Metaverse is fast becoming a reality that will take every industry by storm. With gaming already at the forefront of technology, the two can do so much more for each other beyond anything we can imagine.
The Metaverse has all the potential to be the future of the internet. It will revolutionize the way we think about and interact with technology. The fact that something as tangible as real estate has found a place in virtual reality is testimony to the fact that the Metaverse will bring all boundaries crashing down.
With technology such as this, it is also possible for people from all walks of life to find solace in the Metaverse. With due consideration, the Metaverse could be the most inclusive thing to ever happen in history bringing everyone together and fostering authentic expression. Disabilities, which may constrain gaming, too, may be overcome in the Metaverse.
You can also read : 10 Profitable Metaverse Opportunities and How Businesses Can Benefit From It?
Therefore, if properly developed, the Metaverse could be the future of not just gaming, but the world as a whole.
Credit : Medium